Saturday, October 3, 2009

Who says we don't need universal healthcare?

I guess my main question about a public healthcare option is would every provider have to accept it? Or would it be like current HMO's (like my plan) where you have to find a doctor, hospital, pharmacy and lab that accept the reimbursement amounts from the plan?

After yesterday anyone saying a public option isn't needed is sitting smugly with their own private insurance. I am self-employed, I am fortunate enough to be able to pay a fairly high premium to have HMO coverage. Without it I couldn't even dream of this surgery. That said Oxford (my insurer) has denied every post-surgical machine except for the brace. They denied my CPM Machine and the "game ready" cooling machine. And yet want to sing the praises of how little my out-of-pocket expenses will be for the surgery.

My personal favorite came at around 4:00 pm yesterday when Dr. Williams office called to ask if I knew that the lab (Quest) where my doctor had sent my blood work didn't take my insurance. (My doctors office knows this from previous blood work, but hey) So the lab notified my doctors office and arranged to send it to a different lab. Somewhere between the first and second lab my blood was lost. And again, no one bothered to bring this up until 4pm on Friday afternoon.

On the plus side, that came after so many other problems and issues during the day that it pushed me from screaming, crying and main-lining Ben & Jerry's to hysterical laughter.

Forget Universal Health Care, how about a doctors office capable of staying in communication with a patient with out making the patient look like a bitch trying to hyper-manage everything herself!

In the meantime, I have today and tomorrow to finish my surgery to do list - never did have the MRI my surgeon wanted. And Monday morning I have to be up around 5 am to be at the hospital between 7 and 7:30 for another round of rushed blood work and whatever else before surgery. And I probably won't be home until 3pm or later. At least I'll get some sleep during the day.