Friday, October 23, 2009

All quiet on the knee front . . . but trouble in the kitchen

I did not make it to buy a leash today. Finally off the narcotics I was able to concentrate and get some work done. I will have to try for the leash tomorrow - though the idea of braving Target on a weekend scares me.

I can definitely tell that the PT made a difference. I have been stuck at a maximum of 45 degrees on the CPM machine since my surgery. Today I was bending at 68 degrees. My knee is sore, but survivable. I'm not even feeling like I need anything stronger then the Motrin to get through the night.

I do have to say sleeping without the brace last night was wonderful, though my knee is still swollen and has nerve damage and even without the brace feels like a dead weight on my leg. But just having air able to circulate was a nice feeling. Last time I had knee surgery I was in a cast for six or eight weeks. By the time it came off my knee had tightened up and I don't think I could bend it more then 15 degrees.

The one pain I haven't figured out is the stabbing in the middle of my shin when I am lifting my leg. I can't tell is that is residual from the screws. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it is very sharp.

I am getting more comfortable hobbling around the apartment without crutches, but not quite ready to brave the outside without them. I finally learned to wear my old motorcycle gloves to help protect the heel of my hand, it really makes a difference. The one thing I haven't quite figure out is how to bake for my meeting Tuesday. I'm just not sure how long I can handle standing, not to mention jumping up and down to get pans out of the oven. I know I probably can't do cookies, so I am looking for any bundt cake or cupcake suggestions that don't require a huge amount of standing to mix the ingredients or a lot of time hopping up and down to check the oven. I also have a lot of frozen blueberries I wouldn't mind using.

It's a little sad I should be starting to make the pumpkin puree for freezing, but I can't figure out how to get to the farmers market, or get heavy pumpkins home, much less the time on my feet to cut, steam and puree them. Or baking the seeds. So it looks like no pumpkin bread, pie or cheesecake this year.