Friday, October 16, 2009

I get no feline respect

The cats have all lost their fear of my crutches and the CPM machine. I had hoped it would last a bit longer. They have also gotten accustomed to the knee brace and no longer have any trepidation about climbing, or trying to nap on it when I am in the bed or on the couch. Two have even tried to climb it when I am in the office on the computer.

It was very hard to get up this morning. Gray skies and December-like weather made it the perfect day to lie in bed. I also realized that some of my depression has nothing to do with my knee and every thing to do with the time of year. My father's birthday followed two weeks later by the anniversary of his death. While it gets easier, I still go into a slump at this time of year.

I did finally pull myself out of bed and do my morning CPM. I then decided to push myself a bit and head to the supermarket across the street and see if I could find anything to inspire my appetite. Since I have graduated to weight bearing as tolerated the trek had the added bonus of seeing how much I could tolerate. I think I did very well though by the time I got home sweat was dripping off of me from the exertion. But I definitely feel like I made progress.

As to the leg lifting issue, one friend told me yesterday that his surgeon had him on the floor doing 200 leg lifts a day. The two problems I have with that is that I'm not sure how to fit 200 leg lifts into my schedule that already includes five hours on the CPM machine and I can't figure out how I would get up from the floor! Something to think about.