Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another day

Somehow it was harder to get up this morning then yesterday. I suspect part of it is not being used to sleeping in one position. When I'm in bed my leg feels like a dead weight in the bandages and brace. And then there is that first "ouch" moment as I'm lowering my leg off the bed. The pain pills help, but I don't really like how loopy and sleepy they make me.

I did manage 2 hours in the CPM Machine (which for the second time my insurance has decided to deny - I've already mentioned my feelings on universal health care). The poor cats, they want to climb on the bed with me but the movement and sound of the CPM machine freaks them out a bit. One friend said I am lucky I don't have dogs who might bark or try to attack it. The cats are also not a fan of the crutches, but at least have a healthy respect for them, I was afraid I would wind up tripping over a cat and go splat.

I completely agree with the need for Physical Therapy clearance before you leave the hospital. Can you get around on crutches and in my case manage the 3 stairs to my loft. But some basic Occupational Therapy would be nice too - especially for those of us who live alone. Figuring out how to get in and out of bed was very difficult, not to mention getting in and out of the CPM machine. I finally figured out it is easier to leave the brace on for stability to lift my leg into the CPM machine and then remove the brace. Getting out is harder.

To get in to the bed or the sofa I wind up doing high kicks to lift my leg onto the surface and then sit or lie down. I don't know if that is the correct way to do it, but it is what works for me.

I get to take the dressing off today and get a look at what was actually done. Melissa, Dr. Williams PA, says I can just put big band aids over the suture line, though the hospital sent me home with lots of dressing and more ace bandages.

My only concern is that the medications and/or anesthesia may have given me thrush. My mouth is constantly dry and I think there is some white stuff forming on my tongue. I got thrush after my last surgery and I seem to recall it feeling like this.