Monday, October 26, 2009

Maybe monotony is good

I got a little stupid on my three week anniversary and pushed myself further then my body wanted to go. Including my shortened CPM session, my knee was on the go for 8 hours today with little to no rest. My knee, and the rest of me, rode three buses - standing on all three; walked 14 blocks; had physical therapy; and went grocery shopping. All without icing and elevating. (Did I mention the stupid part?) I knew I was close to the limit while walking to the supermarket, but also knew that because I was close to my limit if I went home I was not coming back out.

I got to my floor and had to sit on the stairs again for 20 minutes before I could tamp down the lightheadedness and nausea and muster the energy to walk the last feet to my door, forget carrying the groceries, jacket, messenger bag and crutches. Needless to say I am being bad and not having an evening CPM session.

I had a different Physical Therapist today from Friday. The center was a bit crazy with two therapists out sick and the others having to cover extra patients. Lena, today's therapist added two new exercises to my regimen and massaged my knee cap as opposed to Dina's forced bending. I have to say I'm not thrilled that they seem to bouncing me around different therapists - maybe it's good because each one brings something different to the session, but it makes it difficult to build up a rapport. Today Dina had to remind Lena who I was after Lena had started working with me and I was on the table directly next to the therapists computer station.

I did meet a young woman who is going through PT is hopes of avoiding knee surgery. She is a freelancer and her biggest fear is how she would pay her bills during her recovery time. She was asking me questions I couldn't answer about short-term disability. Another problem in the health care crisis in America. I know I am dipping into my savings more then I would like to, but I am fortunate enough to have a build up I can tap into.

My other issue is that I have been unable to get ahead of the pain for the past two days. I have had a steady throbbing pain on the inside of my knee. The area has also swollen and is pressing against and over the metal rod of my brace. I've even tried going back on the Darvocet to no avail. I haven't quite decided if this is general "Hey, I'm healin' here" (yes, of course my knee has a Brooklyn accent) or if I need to put a call in to Dr. Williams office. For now I'm thinking a quiet night of ice packs and elevation.

Needless to say I didn't get any baking done. We'll see what I'm up to tomorrow, but my cops may have to go cakeless tomorrow.