Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I'm Screwed

Literally. Dr. Williams put two screws through my tibia. He says I won't set off metal detectors, but they will set off wand searches. I can have the screws removed in nine months and will want to as they can be painful when I kneel. Good thing I'm not travelling right now!

I had a set of x-rays taken and the stitches were removed. Dr. Williams says I'm doing fine and the red spot is nothing to worry about. I see him again in three weeks and have the PT orders to give to the therapist on Thursday. I did get new crutches as Dr. Williams said the ones I had weren't sized correctly and I was throwing my hip up every time I swung my leg. I guess there is a difference in how you really react to crutches when you are fresh out of surgery and in pain and a week later. The recovery room physical therapist had also given me a mismatched pair of crutches which wasn't helping things. They are now a matched pair and set at 6'1". They definitely make me walk straighter. Finally, I got a lower dose pain medication, so hopefully I won't be so loopy.

Something as simple as going to the doctor (by taxi, no less) has totally wiped me out and my knee hurts from pulling out the stitches. I am trying not to take a nap, so that I can really sleep tonight.