Thursday, March 1, 2012

Returning to Routines

I am starting to feel normal again. I still have the neuropathy (now that I've started sleeping without the elastic bandage I have noticed it is affecting my entire foot from the ankle down). I'm still wearing the bondage boot (with more walking comes the awareness that the top strap hits my upper shin right at my knee joint and puts an odd pressure on my knee). I am still afraid of my shower (I have managed a couple showers without slipping by being overly cautious). But, I feel like I am taking back my life.

I have started walking around the apartment without the aid of the cane - haven't told Marco or Dr. Hubbard. More importantly, a week after my walking restrictions were lifted, I have started getting out of the house.

When I'm home I always feel better if I can get out of the apartment for some part of every day. Doesn't matter if it is taking a walk with my camera, or meeting friends or colleagues for coffee (or Chai). Fresh air and not being surrounded by my four walls can help calm me and I can often return home with a better focus for my current projects.

So for the past two days, despite the cold rainy weather, I have walked the two blocks to the bus and gone to my favorite coffee place. Today I even brought my net book and am writing this post with a Chai latte and blueberry muffin.

Getting out of the house has also created a return to a more interesting sociology observation - mentally tracking the gender, age and ethnicity of people who offer me a seat on the bus. I have always been interested in the question of whether it is lack of courtesy or obliviousness that causes people to ignore others in greater need of a seat on a bus or subway. I observed this when my mother was noticeably ill with her cancer and have continued with my own time on crutches or boots and friends pregnancies. Ethnicity seems to play the smallest role, while overwhelmingly it is women over 30 who will offer their seats. Of men, it tends to be those over 50 who will offer a seat with those in their 20's and 30's least likely to move. It would be interesting to see if these observations are universal or simply here. Anyone want to fund trips to all major cities with a mass transit system? I will happily play guinea pig.

For now, I am simply happy to be expanding my world to beyond the loft and the doctor's office. I see Dr. Hubbard again in a week and Dr. Williams has recommended a neurologist if my neuropathy doesn't start to get recede.

The scar itself, still looks red and angry, and while I have it uncovered in the shower I have only  washed it directly with a gentle washcloth. Today is a big day for my foot and scar as I covered it with gauze, but went without the elastic wrap, which also means I am getting a better idea of how the neuropathy is impacting my foot. What I really want is someone to tell me I'm going to get back into my pretty shoes and not spend my life in hiking boots, sneakers and flats!