Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Back in the Bondage Boot

Friday I hobbled in the green cast to Union Square, watched a group of people unfurl an "Occupy Wall Street" banner and then went to see Dr. Hubbard and Marco.

Happily Marco removed my cast, but with my foot still tender Dr. Hubbard ordered an x-ray to check that the screw holding the achilles in place hadn't pulled out. It hadn't, so he put be back in the bondage boot with orders to email him Thursday with a pain update. If the pain is still there I will have to have an MRI to check the actual tendon.

So far it looks like I get to miss that claustrophobia. The pain was there on Friday, but seems to be okay now. I did have some pain during my photo assignment yesterday, but that could be simply because it was my first time on my feet for an hour, trying to move around to get the shots I needed.

This morning my foot is generally sore, but no isolated pain the way I had before the cast. Hopefully this means I can avoid an MRI and go back to physical therapy. I did speak to Dr. Hubbard about not wanting to return to PT unless I knew he had spoken with Carlos about what my foot is allowed to do - he agreed. I absolutely do not want a repeat of this! As it is I know my recovery has been set back by at least three weeks. I should have remembered none of my surgeries have ever been smooth and easy.

Honestly, I suspect I am losing some perspective on the whole thing. I am depressed that I can't get out and shoot, even if it just walking through the botanic gardens and catching some of the early blooms. I had to turn down a residency because I knew I wouldn't be ready to walk enough to get the photos. I hate feeling forced to be this inactive.

I was excited to start PT because it meant I was on the mend and it was a real step towards getting my life back, now I am left in a limbo, hoping that if I stay pain free Dr. Hubbard will let me return soon. Forget the month I spent basically stuck in my apartment - this is when I need people to amuse me.