Monday, March 12, 2012

Physical Therapy is Hard

I surprised myself by coming home today in pain. I did not think the little bit of stretching and activity I did today would hurt. Carlos had warned me. He gave me a rubber band to do exercises at home, but said that if I was in pain tomorrow to leave off until Wednesday.

Don't even feel like I did that much. Started with a painful massage as Carlos worked to get the low and fluid retention moving in my calf and foot. Then leg lifts with a four pound weight followed by drawing the alphabet with my foot and ankle circles. We finished with the rubber band stretches and ice. I guess I was still frozen when I left, it wasn't until I got home that I realized how badly I wanted to take the brace off and just prop up my foot.

When I was finally willing to venture off the couch five hours later, I discovered my heel very tender and a bit cranky at being stretched to the 75 degrees or so that the boot requires. For all the pain, I know Carlos is being sensitive and is concerned that I might tear the stitches holding the achilles together.

So perhaps it is a good thing that most of tomorrow will be spent in front of the computer. I will continue to elevate and ice and we will see what PT with Edward brings on Wednesday.