Friday, March 2, 2012

A Change in Plans Means Pushing Limits

After hearing from my building super that our elevator was going to be out of service all day I scheduled a quiet day at home catching up on my Hulu queue and some new books. Then I got a call telling me that an old friend passed away a week ago. I hadn't seen him since my mother's memorial service four and a half years ago, but that the vibrant, kind man I knew - a man only seven years older than me - could be gone hit me surprisingly hard.

I tried to find the right, non-trite words to express to his wife how sorry I was for her and their children. And then because I was still feeling so strongly, I hobbled down the five flights of stairs so I could get it in the mail today.

It was only after I got downstairs that I realized I hadn't put on a stamp and didn't have any in my bag. I took the bus to the Post Office, bought stamps, mailed the note and then decided to wait out the time before the building elevator was restored by looking at laptops to replace mine that is on it's last legs (or should I say bytes).

I walked the block from the Post Office to the mall and then through the three stores that carry laptops, comparing prices and options. I came close to buying one before deciding to do some more comparisons on-line. At that point I had a decision to make - walk back the two blocks to a bus stop, or push forward. I got it in my head to push forward and see if I could walk the eight blocks home.

Not my smartest decision, but I've been fairly well behaved up to now. After three blocks I ran into a friend and sat with him for a bit as he had a late lunch. I don't know if that short break made the difference, but I made it home with only minor discomfort and the knowledge that I could do it.

Foot is elevated for now and I won't push it this weekend (I have a busy calendar next week). But there was some pleasure in knowing I could take another step (pun intended) towards my normal life. I am feeling so good about it I may try to schedule a small photo shoot for the week of March 12th.