Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hospital Charges, or Why Do We Need Health Reform

Just forget for the moment my right as a woman to have my birth control options covered by my insurance. Even if, as in my case, I would use it less for safe sex and more as one of the options to lower my familial risk of ovarian cancer. Today I find myself dumbfounded by the inflated rates hospitals charge insurance companies in the US, just to actually get paid a portion of the bill.

I received a bill from the hospital for my achilles surgery. I am lucky, I have health insurance with a $75 surgical co-pay. The hospital billed my insurance $9,881.65 (this does not include an additional $3,895.00 billed to my insurance from the anesthesiologist). Honestly, knowing some of the bills for medical procedures in the US, that doesn't seem incredibly high (the surgery, not the anesthesiologist) until I look at the break down for the bill.

Anesthesia (this is for the actual drugs, not the doctor giving them)      758.00
Ambulatory Surgical Recovery Room Time >3.5 to 4 hours                830.00
Surgical Time Level 1 91 - 120 minutes                                            4000.00
Suture for Anchor Level 5                                                                  975.00
Cutting Blade Level 1                                                                         163.00
Custom Pack Level 4                                                                         325.00
Tourniquet Level 6                                                                           1625.00
Drape Level 4                                                                                    975.00
Thromibin 5000U Vial                                                                        230.65

Of that $9,881.65 bill, my insurance paid the hospital $4,115.06 (they paid the anesthesiologist $1,544.66). Basically less then half of what the hospital was charging. Yet, a friend in the health care field once explained that if the hospital charged my insurance $4,115.06, my insurance would only want to pay half of that. It is a ridiculous cycle where the ones getting screwed are the uninsured. But, of course, there is no need for health care reform!

My rant for the evening.