Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Outside is Nice

For the first time in a week I breathed outside air and rolled my walker over concrete. By the way, the hilly sidewalks of Park Slope showed me the walker could use stronger brakes.

Actually had a number of learning experiences today. I learned how to make a bed with fresh sheets while on it. I learned the most comfortable position when using the walker as a leg elevator (straight along the leg with your heel in the basket). And I learned rubber tipped crutches and wet tile floors don't mix well.

I had forgotten how difficult the lip of my walk-in shower is to deal with when you are hopping on one leg. Besides being fairly wide the bathroom and shower floors are at different depths. I had to stand and work it out - with a couple false starts - before even making it in to the shower. And when I tried to emerge after my shower my crutch slipped and, while I was able to catch myself, I stubbed my toe. Fortunately I had brought the walker into the bathroom and was able to maneuver it to a position where I could rest my knee and use it as a base to hop the lip. I actually scared myself when slipped and was more then happy to lie in bed for a while to recover.

You really need problem-solving skills to have surgery, especially if you live alone.

It was nice to get out of the house and see people. Most found my walker fascinating and loved the basket. Though the general consensus was that I need a bell.

I did email my knee surgeon as I noticed that the spot where the screw was removed is red and irritated and looks like it is ready to peel and bleed - not an acceptable activity when you are on a blood thinner. We'll see what they say. I also spoke to the Marco, who says that Dr. H feels I should speak to my Hemotologist about the side-effects I'm having on the Lovenox and get his opinion. Not sure why I'm the one talking to my Hemotologist and then reporting back to Marco to tell Dr. Hubbard. But hey, I'm just the patient.

Anyway, it's been a long day and it's time for me to take my shot late and go to bed.