Monday, January 30, 2012

At What Point do You Worry?

Certain things trigger medical paranoia in people. Mine seems somewhat odd until you understand the context. I get worried if I have bouts of bloating and gas. Seems minor until you know they were originally the only symptoms of my mother's stage 3C Ovarian Cancer. Since that particular cancer runs in my family, I get concerned.

I've had the symptoms for the last three or four days and decided it was time to see if I needed to call the doctor or if they were simply side-effects of the Lovenox. While I didn't see it listed on the medication website I did find multiple sites with patients on the drug, especially women, complaining. What a did find on the site was a simple sentence that had me e-mailing Marco about something I hadn't even thought to concern myself over.

The sentence reads "It is important to contact your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms such as tingling, numbness (especially in lower limbs), and muscular weakness." I've had all of those and just attributed them to post-surgery. I've had one or two moments when my legs have felt like they were going to sleep and thought I was sitting badly and pinching a nerve in my back. Wouldn't have even thought to call anyone about it.

Marco's response was that my numbness and tingling may be related to swelling, and to call the office tomorrow. I'd buy that, except it feels like I've had almost no swelling. Within the first 72 hours the cast around my foot and ankle felt loose enough to shift around in and the spot where the top screw was removed from my knee has been getting irritated by the knee pad on the walker (especially today, but we'll go into that shortly). I've added a call to Dr. Hubbard's office to my To Do list tomorrow.

I was on the knee walker more today then I have been since my surgery. I baked. Almost home-made red velevet cupcakes - I decided I was not up to making them from scratch - and pink vanilla cupcakes. Not going to cook a four-course dinner until I can stand on my own two feet, but I can make treats for my Council meeting tomorrow. It was also surprisingly tiring. It seems sad that it is not yet 8:00 pm and I'm ready to hop (crawling's not an option at the moment) into bed.