Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day One

Who knew you could get insomnia after anesthesia. I stayed up until 8pm to give myself the first Lovenox injection and then tried to sleep. I could blank my mind, but couldn't do more than doze in fits. I would periodically check the clock and saw 9:30, 11:30 and 3:00. At 5:30 I tried rolling to my side, keeping the pillows between my legs to maintain elevation. This helped as it also allowed my left knee, which had been feeling very sore and tense, bend.

When I woke just before 8 it was time for another shot and I could finally wiggle my toes and my foot was tingly as the nerves tried to re-establish communication with my brain. Decided to take a Percocet to try to get ahead of the pain. It hasn't 100% worked, been taking one pill every 4 -5 hours, but have a low level throb that I keep thinking will ease if I can just find the right support for the cast, but is just my heel letting me know it doesn't like me much right now.

Was very proud that I managed to get up and put on clean clothes and fixing some breakfast (banana bread and a mandarin orange cup) before collapsing on the couch and letting the cats climb on me for a nap. Sat there with my brain going nowhere for a while before settling in to some DVDs followed by lunch and a doze.

Not surprisingly, no calls from the recovery nurses to check on me (though it's only 5:30 they could still call tonight).

My throat is still bothering me. It was very sore during the night and felt swollen this morning. I can swallow, but it feels rough and scratchy if I try to talk. I also noticed when I was trying to chew that my lower jaw muscles hurt too. Definitely not a fan of intubation. If I catch a cold from this I am going to be very grumpy.

The problem is that with the residue of whatever meds they used yesterday and the Percocet I'm not focusing well but am aware enough to be bored. I realized I couldn't even go check my mail, because I shouldn't risk the stairs. It's bad enough I feel like I have to take my cell phone with me anytime I go to the bathroom.

It's almost time to take another pill and feed the whining cat, then decide if I'm going to watch some more movies or go to bed, hopefully I'll sleep tonight.