Sunday, January 15, 2012

Countdown Begins

 I have started my pre-op "to do" and shopping lists. Top priorities are making the apartment crutches friendly and stocking up on entertainment. Other jobs have included replacing the padding and grips on my crutches and stocking up on easy, healthy food. Even though I have the list well in hand, somehow a week doesn't feel long enough.

I also realize I'm much more afraid with this surgery then I was with my knee. It's not that I don't have faith in my surgeon, but that this surgery seems to have the ability for more complications. Plus everyone seems to want to tell me a horror story - not helpful!

I think it's also the idea of not being able to weight bear for two weeks. With my knee I started passive PT immediately and could at least use my foot (with some pain) to maneuver around and get up from a seat, etc.  This time I ordered a medical shower seat and have been thinking about trying to borrow a wheeled office chair to scoot around the apartment for the first two weeks. At one point Dr. Hubbard had mentioned the possibility of a knee walker. (see my favorite picture from a testimonial page of rentakneewalker.com)


I don't know if my insurance would cover it, and all the images show that the weight point is directed to the knee - the one thing I have never been able to do since my first knee surgeries 25 years ago is kneel without pain. But it certainly looks like a safer and steadier option to crutches - especially around the cats. Will email Dr. Hubbard or his PA, Marco, and call my insurance Tuesday. (With the knee walker, I might even be able to bake for Precinct Council.)

I am probably going over-board in all my preparations, but I'd rather discover I don't need something I have then try to figure how to get it afterwards.