Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pushing

Every now and then I seem to need to push boundaries - be it in relationships or other parts of my life. Today was one of those days. This morning I started to respond to an e-mail and realized I didn't have all the information I needed. My options were to call and text people on a Saturday morning or see if the information needed had arrived in my mail as promised. I decided to go the independent route (huge surprise I know) and loaded my crutches over the handle bars of my knee walker and bravely set forth from my apartment.

I had to stop and stare at the stairs for a bit, working out in my head exactly how to get down - and half hoping a neighbor would come out I could hand my mailbox key. I was able to hop down the stairs with the aid of a crutch and the railing and then at the bottom (admittedly only 4 steps) reach back and gently maneuver the walker down as well. Took the crutches with me as I managed to turn myself around in a small elevator (did I mention the walker has a huge turn ratio) and then get back on the crutch to hop up the first step in the lobby, before discovering that the windowsill opposite the mailboxes was the perfect height to sit rather then hopping the remaining step. Valiantly made it to my mailbox and dumped my mail in the bag I had remembered to bring with me before repeating the journey in reverse back to my apartment.

I have to admit, by the time I got home I was more then happy to collapse on the couch for a bit and hadn't even tried to venture outside. But now I know that, while tiring, I can manage to leave the apartment. Though I know I will be yelled at for doing it without supervision. I had made certain my cell phone was accessible in case I needed to call a neighbor or ambulance.

I did decide that besides a bicycle bell the knee walker could use some sort of storage or base for crutches for when have no choice but to climb stairs or for getting in and out of cars.

My throat has been worse today. I don't know if it was because my liquid for the day was a tart lemonade, but the raw painful spot never seemed to get coated with phlegm the way it was earlier in the week. It made talking very uncomfortable, which kept me off the phone most of the day. Marco swore it would clear up on its own, so far not so much. Other then the ER, which is stupid for this, I can't figure out how to see a doctor. I'll have to call my Primary on Monday, maybe his office has a secret entrance that doesn't involve steps. I know he has another office, but going out to Gravesend / Sheepshead Bay.

On the information I didn't need to know, but now need to share - I read the small print on the generic Lovenox syringe container. "Each syringe contains 30 mg enoxaparin sodium injection derived from porcine intestinal mucosa in Water for injection." I guess if people are willing to get botulism injections in the hope of looking younger I should not complain that pig gut snot is keeping me from getting a blood clot.