Sunday, January 29, 2012

My MacGyver Moment

Had a bit of unexpected excitement this morning that taught me a couple of valuable lessons. I had just sat down on the couch with my breakfast when my knee walker rolled across the room. (One of the joys of living in an old loft building are the slanted floors!) I sat there trying to figure out what to do. My cell phone was in the walker basket, so calling for help was out of the question. With no visitors scheduled for today, I couldn't just wait for help to arrive. I thought about sliding on to the floor and scooting across the floor on my tush, but couldn't figure how to get back up without the use of my left leg. I decided to wait until my next door neighbors took their dog for a walk and yell for help. Only problem, they didn't hear me (and I hurt my throat and made my voice very hoarse).

Finally, my bladder had me deciding I had to rescue myself. I was able to scoot myself down the couch until I could reach a footrest with my right leg. I hooked the footrest and pulled it close and piled it high with pillows. Fortunately it goes with my Eames chair and was wide enough for me to rest my left knee and hands as I bent over and shuffled across the floor to the recalcitrant walker.

Lessons learned, make sure the walker hand brake is locked when I'm on the couch and if I really hurt myself no one is going to hear me. Not a pleasant thought, though it does justify my taking my cell phone with me every time I went into the bathroom for the first three days (might even start doing that again).

After lunch I did some more household chores and stared at the bed trying to work out how to change my sheets tomorrow. I did figure out how to unload the dryer, fold and put away the clean clothes.

Tomorrow celebrates my one week anniversary (what is the official gift for one week post-op?) and the beginning of my life intruding on my recovery. I have to try to bake red velvet cupcakes tomorrow, though the true excitement comes on Tuesday when not only will I leave the building for the first time in a week, I will also attempt to take a shower (which sounds both cleaner and scarier then the sponge bathes I have been giving). Definitely have to have someone on call for that.

Wish me luck!