Friday, January 15, 2010

Stuck In the Middle at 115 degrees

I reached 115 degrees today, I might have gotten a tad further (my goal for the day was 118) but the table was in my way. Yesterday I was able to climb and descend a flight of stairs using both knees. I still have more muscle strengthening, but I am definitely starting to feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. And in 5 months I can get the screws removed.

The only annoyance is the continued problem with swelling. I finished my anti-inflammatory prescription Monday and I today my left ankle and calf is noticeably more swollen then my right. Now that I can finally start trying heels again I don't want swollen ankles! I have already decided that I should wear (or at least bring and put on when I get there) a pair of my highest stilettos to my next Dr. Williams appointment.

As for the CPM confusion, I spoke to Johanna (sp?) at my insurance yesterday and discovered being a bit graphic can be helpful. She reiterated what the medical supply company said, that the approval letter had been sent by mistake. My insurance only covers CPM machines for total knee replacements and manipulations. This is where I got a bit graphic and said that I had a dead persons body part attached to my knee and felt that should make me eligible for the CPM. I made her a bit squeamish with the dead person reference and she slipped from the official line and agreed with me. She did tell me that because the surgical supply company is in the insurance provider network they are not allowed to bill me, even though my insurance is still denying the claim and that it is up to the supply company to argue the denial. I see this dragging on for a while with me getting pulled around a bit.