Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Balance Board Catch and High Heels

Just trying to stay on the balance board wasn't enough for Matt. Today I had to stand on the balance ball and throw and catch a ball. Multitasking at it's PT best.

We also got into a discussion about high heels. I wasn't even thinking about blogging it, until Matt said he had to think about what he was saying for fear it would end up here.

I have never been one of those "Sex & the City" type women who live in their stilettos. I love my heels, but I usually carried them in a bag and wore them for short periods at specific events. Matt agrees with my old Podiatrist that they are really not good for me as they force the knee to bend - helping to give your legs that look that women love their high heels for, but wreaking havoc on joints. For a woman who has now had three knee surgeries in the last quarter century, that's probably not a good thing.

I agree in theory, but . . . they're pretty and they help me feel pretty when I wear them. So, I may scale back my collection and look at more wedges and stacked heels over stilettos, but don't hold your breath that I'll give them all up.

Matt also helped me think about some of the questions I need to focus on for my Dr. W appointment. I've said before I was told my knees were fragile after my last surgeries. I spent years in fear and babying them (perhaps not as much as I should have). What does this new surgery really mean for my activities? I'm not saying I want to go ski black diamonds, but having a better understanding of my real limitations would be nice. Things to think about before Tuesday.