Thursday, January 14, 2010

Celebration and Frustration

I take back every "not entirely their fault" thoughts I've had about insurance companies since my PT charged my insurance for doing nothing but icing my knee. I got a call today from the people who provided my CPM machine telling me that my insurance is refusing to pay for my first CPM rental because they mistakenly sent me the authorization letter approving it. Admittedly I did get letters both authorizing and denying the CPM machine (dated the same day), but the denial letter did not say the authorization letter was a mistake and at no point (until today) was the medical supply company told by my insurance company that the approval letter was an error. In fact I faxed a copy of the approval letter to the supply company and was told they spoke to my insurance company about it.

So now I'm being told it's not being covered, that I need to go have a fight with my insurance company and I may be stuck with the $175/week rental fees. (That loud noise you just heard was me screaming in frustration.)

On the plus side, I was able to bend on the wall to 113 degrees yesterday. And I got a new exercise involving a rubber ball between my legs that actually had me sweating and made my muscles a bit sore today. Add to that the shocking news (especially considering the previous paragraphs) that my insurance approved 10 PT sessions, and I may be done with PT the first week in February.

I’m walking normally most of the time – did you know you needed 100 degrees of mobility to walk normally? – and have even started being able to do stairs, I’m slow and still throwing my hip a bit. Finally, my knee isn’t tightening up the way it was when I’m walking around.

There was a woman in PT yesterday who had replacement surgery a month ago and was practically screaming in pain as her therapist tried to bend her. I remember that, but as I get better it feels a long time ago. I guess that’s the body’s coping mechanism (otherwise women would never have more than one child via natural childbirth).

I guess I no longer have any excuses for organizing my apartment and getting my life back. I don’t think I will feel truly healed until I can go out with my cameras and not have to worry I won’t get the shot.

For now, it’s back to trying to reach someone competent at my insurance company.