Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Knowing Your Limitations

Not something that comes naturally to me. I have always been stubborn and seem to like to push at immovable objects. So, I did have to tell Marco today that it was killing me to be this good for the past month. But if being this good means I can get back to work sooner, I will be good.

That came into play yesterday when I decided not to try out my new double chocolate toffee pecan cookie recipe because I knew all that standing would probably be frowned on. That said, I pushed it today by taking the subway home after seeing Marco.

Everything seemed to go smoothly with today's appointment. Removing the sutures was probably the most pain I've had since surgery - he swears he did not make me bleed. I can now get my scar wet in the shower (yeah, no more blue bag), but should keep it wrapped in the elastic wrap when it is in the boot - i.e. when I'm not in bed or the shower. He says the neuropathy is caused by my nerves being angry (his adjective) at the surgery and should dissipate as I heal and the swelling goes down.

On the plus side, I can move from crutches to a cane (as soon as I remember which side I'm supposed to use it on) and the walking restriction of half a block has been lifted to "within reason". Obviously this man does not know me well! Which leads us to me trip home on the subway.

I was so excited by the idea that I could start to get back into my normal patterns that I didn't think through how far the subway elevators are from each other. There is an elevator to the subway mezzanine just around the corner from the medical center, but the elevator to the subway platform is a good distance from the turnstiles. On the other end I had to get off a stop before mine so I could take three elevators in an almost V like pattern to get from the subway platform to the street and then walk a short block, crossing two large avenues, to take a bus that dropped my off a block from my building. Perhaps a bit much for the first day I'm allowed to walk more than half a block.

I am being good now, with my foot elevated and the gel packs in the freezer so I can ice it later. But, if I'm honest, plans are already in my head for a trip to visit my favorite baristas and a chai soy latte tomorrow. I will however take a bus as I suspect 14 blocks is not Marco's idea of within reason. Especially if I spend the morning standing in the kitchen working on my cookie recipe.