Friday, March 22, 2013

PT Drama and New Shoes

Today was my first appointment with my new Physical Therapist. Bob was recommended by both Dr. Ellis and Mark (my pre-surgical PT). He has over 20 years experience with a focus on feet and seems to also have experience with nerve issues.

Had a minor bit of drama at the beginning of my appointment when the therapist I had seen on my last two sessions wanted to know why I wasn't seeing him and implied that since he had done my initial evaluation I was supposed to be his patient. How does one nicely say that he was a place-holder until Bob returned from vacation and had he been the therapist I was assigned to, I'm not sure we would have been a good fit?

Nothing against the first PT, I am sure he is very competent, but he had me doing a few minor exercises like rolling my ankle, pointing and flexing my foot, and using a dog leash to pull my foot and stretch my calf - all without weight bearing. They are all good basic exercises, but he also talked about taking it slow and not doing anything more strenuous then the bicycle until the swelling in my ankle had dissipated. In contrast, Bob jumped in with two new floor stretches as well as two new bed stretches specifically designed to remind my nerves they go all the way down to my foot. He's pushing me to run through the routine at least 5 times a day.

Bob is doing what I really wanted and needed, which is treating me like one of their athlete patients. Though it was a bit disheartening to hear him say it could still be months before I would be discharged from PT. After two years, two surgeries and too many physical therapists to name, I am getting tired of the whole process!

The only complaint I have is the same one I had with Carlos, but hadn't realized until I saw Christine. Because it is a large facility the therapists see more than one patient at a time - though this seems to be two at a time as opposed to Carlos' schedule of four. But it still means the PT is jumping between patients, meaning both that my appointment doesn't begin on time (Bob didn't come get me from the waiting room until 15 minutes after my scheduled start) and that I am left alone to run through a set of exercises and then twiddle my thumbs until the therapist returns.

On the plus side, Bob could push my foot past neutral today. In fact, when Bob pushed, my left foot flexed further then my right could on it's own. He also said my heel pain, recurrent blister and calf cramps are from my foot having spent so long in the equine position - and that the pain is likely to get worse as I begin wearing sneakers full time this weekend. I am now trying coconut water to help with the cramps.

After PT I did something I haven't done in a very long time - I went shoe shopping! Admittedly it was for sneakers, but beggars and all that. Earlier this week it occurred to me that all my sneakers (by all I mean my two, possibly three, pairs) are designed for walking or cross-training, and as such they have built-in heel lifts. So today I spoke to Steve, Dr. Ellis' PA, and confirmed I needed flat sneakers - Bob actually recommended earth shoes, but not until I'm a bit further along. So I went to DSW and picked up a pair of red polka-dot Keds and gray Roxy Castaway high tops.

The negative of moving from air-cast boot to sneaker is that my walking speed - already fairly slow - will, for  awhile, become sloth-like. Always something to look forward to!