Thursday, March 14, 2013

In Theory

I hurt! In theory I wanted the splint gone and with it the knee-walker. In actuality, I was very happy to cheat and use the knee walker for a few minutes this evening to feed the cats.

My foot and ankle hurt, my calf hurts, even my hands hurt. But as I explained to the guys who drove me home when I had the cab drop me off at Barclays Center so I could stop at Starbucks, I am supposed to be putting weight on the foot and walking. Heck, I even start physical therapy tomorrow.

The FDR Drive had surprisingly light traffic and I arrived at Dr. Ellis' office about 20 minutes early. I had assumed he would be running late, so I packed lots to keep me busy. Decided to finally start reading the Time Magazine cover story on health care in America. That became a bit ironic when he sent me for a sonogram to check for a blood-clot. The one amusing spot of my wait was trying to figure out why the young woman opposite me thought wearing 5" (maybe 6") platform ankle boots was appropriate for an appointment with a foot surgeon.

The nurse removed my splint and I found my self tearing up in fear. Even with the general anesthesia and the minimally invasive surgery, I couldn't feel my ankle when I touched it. And later when Dr. Ellis had me stand on my bare foot I felt like the floors were all slanted as I could not feel my heel. (I will call Dr. Shetty, my neurologist, in the morning,)

Dr. Ellis wants me up and moving ASAP to ensure that the achilles does not have a chance to tighten again. It was a bit disconcerting to hear him say he basically ruptured the tendon. He again described putting in the cuts and forcing my foot to neutral. And today when it was out of the splint I noticed it wanted to curl in and did not like when he pushed the ankle to a ninety degree angle from my leg. As I mentioned he had me stand and put as much weight as I could tolerate on my left foot and work on bending my knee.

Dr. E says stretching is my top priority. He wants me working on the foam angle in my bare feet tonight and starting physical therapy three times a week as soon as possible. Since no billionaires decided they needed an unlimited supply of triple chocolate double toffee cookies, I am starting PT at the HSS rehab center tomorrow morning. My pre-surgical in-hospital physical therapist had recommended someone in that center who supposedly has 20 years experience specializing in feet. He is on vacation, but I should be able to start with him as soon as he returns. In the meantime, I have an evaluation with someone else at the practice. Not looking forward to my long commute (car service tomorrow, but eventually one to two subways and a bus each way) three days a week, but, if at the end I can walk, it will all be worth it.

Dr. Ellis is pushing me forward quickly. I only get the air-cast boot for a week before he wants me in sneakers and I see him again in three weeks. Since the pads of my hands hurt from gripping my crutches tightly, both before and after I was allowed to put weight on my left foot, that seems like a herculean challenge. I'm just trying to figure out if I can get to and from PT tomorrow with just my cane.

For now it's all about putting one foot in front of the other.