Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Achilles Seeks PT Sugar Daddy

I spent the weekend talking myself out of texting my last Physical Therapist. While I was sure my saying thank you would be appreciated, I didn't think interrupting her weekend was the best way to do it.

"Physical therapy is important" is a phrase I have heard from both of my current surgeons and my neurologist. My neurologist adds "especially for you," referring to my neuropathy and the hope that proper PT will help my nerves reconnect to my brain.

I am aware of how important physical therapy, and the right physical therapist, is to recovery. After all it was a year ago this week that Dr. Hubbard put me in a cast for 11 days after I possibly pulled my achilles seven weeks after my first surgery, when my physical therapist at the time had me use the BAPS board. After my knee surgery, my recovery improved greatly when I changed physical therapists.

Six months after my first achilles surgery my health insurance stopped paying for physical therapy, saying they  didn't see improvement. After my open letter to Beth Israel, the hospital began to cover the cost of my PT. Eventually Dr. Hubbard recommended I see a physical therapist who had worked at Beth Israel before starting her own practice. I only saw Christine for two months, but discovered having a therapist who specialized in feet and spent an hour one-on-one was very beneficial. I didn't even mind traveling to midtown twice a week and had finally trained the local Starbucks baristas on how to make my Chai. I will never know if seeing her from the start could have saved me from Achilles 2.0, but she was the therapist I wanted to text this weekend as I began to realize how important the strength and balance exercises she ran me through were helping me maneuver through my daily activities in the week after my surgery.

I was hoping to return to Christine for my physical therapy after this surgery, until my insurance shot down that idea. Which is where my need for a Sugar Daddy comes in. Christine does not take my insurance and my insurance will not cover any of the cost if I go out of network. I could argue that Beth Israel should continue to pay, since some of my need for physical therapy is still related to my neuropathy, but I'm not sure that is a fight I would win outside a courtroom.

I realize that much as I liked Carlos, I need a therapist who has a real focus on feet and achilles and someone who will work with me without getting pulled to other patients during my appointment. Ideally, I want that person to be Christine, but simply can not do math that allows me to spend $400 - $600 a week and feed the cats or myself.

I am hoping that when I see Dr. Ellis tomorrow he will let me exchange this hot, annoying splint for an air-cast boot and some walking around. If so, we will discuss my return to physical therapy.

If it ups the incentive, for the money to see Christine, I'll bake at your beck and call.