Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Touch Your Toes

It has been just over four weeks since my surgery. It feels like longer! At least I am in matching sneakers, not something I had attained a month after my first surgery.

Because of my schedule I am having PT every third day for two weeks - Tuesday and Friday last week, Monday and Thursday this. Probably a good thing. Still having a struggle on the leg press and Bob added new stretches yesterday that had my right calf protesting. He also has me working on my hip strength as he noticed I'm doing a bit of a swivel when I try to climb stairs foot over foot. I swear by the time I finish one round of home exercises it's time to start the next. On my own I have added practicing stairs on the three steps between the elevator and my apartment.

On a happier note the swelling in my left foot has gone down enough that I could wear my red polka-dot Keds this weekend. They add a bit of whimsy and garnered a few compliments.

Still battling the disassociation with my foot, though since starting with Bob I have some signs that I might be regaining some feeling in my big toe. Instead of just looking at it, Bob has recommended touching it. He said sensory input from fingers may help my brain. So when I put on the Topricin, I also feel my foot, explore my toes and heel. So far I've learned I need to get a pumice stone and work on removing some dead skin.

I have to say that getting up has become significantly easier. Before this surgery I would lie in bed and worry about how long it was going to take for me to feel secure walking. I would stand up and windmill my arms as I tried to get my left foot to flex enough to allow me to stand. Now I can just get up without having to over think it - my only worry that my slippers will slide on the wood floor before I have full weight on them.

I feel like if I could just get my talus (ankle bone) to pop back into proper alignment every thing else would be fixed. I have to assume Bob agrees, or he just like pulling on my foot.

Basically, I went to Dr. Hubbard to fix one problem and he left me with a myriad of others. Because of the neuropathy and the achilles tightening I rolled my foot out to the side which tightened the tendon on the inside of my ankle and partially tore the peroneus brevis tendon on the outside of my ankle, and allowed my talus to shift locking my ankle. All of which Bob, Dr. Ellis, Dr. Shetty and I now have to fix.

Remind me again why hitting people with my cane is bad?!