Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Just call me Half-Awake Hobbles

Right now the knees not really hurting, but I do have that spacey feeling when you're not quite awake. I got home after ten pm last night and was up at 3:30 this morning to be at the hospital by 5:45 so that I could be Dr. Williams first patient of the day at 8:00 am.

No epidural this time, just a little something in my IV and I began to wake up in the OR as they were wrapping my knee and remember looking at my anesthesiologist and asking if we were done - no loud music in the operating room this time. Just after 9 (Regis and his guest host were still doing their opening banter on the tv over my bed) I was wheeled into recovery and offered a mediocre tuna sandwich and a ginger ale. By 10 am I had gotten out of bed and peed and they were ready to send me to "Phase 2" recovery and send me home.

I never even got to see Dr. Williams after my surgery, though Melissa came and told me everything went smoothly and gave me some post-op care rules. Nor, did I ever get my screws! (May that be the worst part of this operation!)

Mitch picked me up and took me to the pharmacy for my pain and anti-inflammatory prescriptions before dropping me off at home. Where I immediately collapsed on the couch with an ice pack and made a few phone calls and getting some time with one of the cats. When I found myself in some pain and waking from a doze in a position bound to give me one heck of a neck cramp, I took my crutch and hobbled to bed and passed out for two hours. Which brings us to now and this fuzzy headed feeling.

As for post-op rules - one crutch and light weight bearing for the next 24 hours at which point I can remove the bandages wrapping my full knee and just band-aid the surgery scar. I have to keep it dry for the next 10 days (so it's back to plastic wrap in the shower!) but should be able to move the knee normally. Though we did discuss I may have re-plan my Saturday as my currently scheduled photo shoot may have me on my feet too much.

Right now I'm just going to drink some juice and go back to bed. Melissa is supposed to call tomorrow to check on me, we will leave it until then.