Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blood work

Yes, it's been awhile. My life has been more about bringing in a paycheck then obsessing on my knee. Though I have been getting a bit of pain lately. I have decided it is my knee preparing to lose the screws.

I am happy to report that procedure is scheduled for a week from tomorrow (if I finish and post this by midnight). I went to the hospital today for my blood work - an hour on the subway each way so they could spend less then a minute drawing 2 vials of blood. I figured it was still better then last time when my primary sent the blood to a lab that doesn't take my insurance and so we had to rush labs the morning of my surgery.

I also had to do a bit of scrambling today when the person who was originally scheduled to pick me up at the hospital had to cancel. Fortunately, I was able to find a new person. It seems ridiculous that I have to have someone at all, it's not like I'm having them move into my apartment to take care of me. Especially since this is supposed to be such an easy procedure. I asked if I could just have someone meet me downstairs at the hospital entrance, but no, Melissa insists they have to come up to the Recovery Room. Again, if all they are doing is driving me home what is the point? I can almost guarantee that whoever comes to pick me up next Wednesday is not the person I would call for help if there is a post-surgical complication!

Maybe that should be my new career - hiring myself out to people who need someone to get them out of the hospital so they can go home and be sick in peace!

In all seriousness, I just want to know that this final part will be easy and that it will mark a turning point in getting my life and my career back on track! I have been somewhat forced by the surgery into a stagnation that I neither wanted, nor was really prepared for. The thought of having to pause my life for another nine months to have the other knee done scares the crud out of me.

I want nothing more then to jump on a plane with my camera bag and just go! I have tried for some projects closer to home, but have been having funding and permission problems. I don't know maybe my life just makes more sense when I'm looking through a camera lens - or maybe it's almost midnight and I just need to go to bed!